The Equality Act 2010 was introduced to ensure protection from discrimination, harassment and victimisation on the grounds of specific characteristics (referred to as protected characteristics). For schools, this means that it is unlawful to discriminate against individuals or treat them less favourably because of their gender; race; age; disability; religion or belief; gender reassignment; sexual orientation; pregnancy or maternity.
It is central to our school community that all members are known, nurtured and inspired. Our Equality Objectives enable us to hear the voice of all and ensure that we ‘Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves’ Proverbs 31:8.
Under the Act, Bishops’ Blue Coat CE High School is expected to comply with the Public Sector Equality Duty (PSED). This requires us to:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation
- Advance equality of opportunity between different groups
- Foster good relations between different groups
As a public organisation, we are required to:
- Have due regard to the PSED when making decisions, taking action or developing policy and practice
- Publish information to show compliance with the Equality Duty. This is done via our Equalities Policy
- Publish Equality Objectives which are specific and measurable
Bishops' Blue Coat Equality Objectives
- Tackle discrimination, harassment and victimisation against people from different protected characteristics.
- Promote equality of opportunity and outcome between people of different protected characteristics.
- Foster good relations between people of different protected characteristics.