Why study French?
We live in a multilingual global society and languages are undeniably all around us, whether at work, on holiday or just casually in day-to-day life. This course is ideal for you if you wish to improve your communication skills, your understanding of grammar and to develop your linguistic ability making you more employable as employers seek people with a language qualification. This course also aids appreciation of other cultures and undoubtedly broadens horizons.
Where can this course lead?
Students with an A-Level in French go on to a wide range of careers outside of the expected such as translation, including business, travel and tourism and engineering. In our ever changing European landscape the ability to rely on English is reducing and the the importance of French as the language of European business and politics is growing. The ability to speak French also opens up opportunities with Canadian based companies.
What do students think?
- “I love the French language and studying A level allows me to improve my language ability.”
- “I found the transition to A Level from GCSE okay because of all the support that we had from teachers.”
- “I really enjoy learning more about the culture as well as developing my language skills.”
Who could be teaching me?
Mrs Williams and Mr Owen have both over 10 years of A Level teaching experience and have an excellent record of achieving top grades.
We also have a FLA (Foreign Language Assistant) who provides one-to-one speaking sessions for 30 minutes every week.
- Many recent students have gone on to study French at university.
- Suzy is studying French and German at the University of Leeds.
- Anna is studying French and English Literature at the University of Manchester.
- James is pursuing studies in French and Business Studies at the University of Sheffield.