Food Science and Nutrition
An understanding of food and nutrition is relevant to many industries and job roles such nutritionists, care providers, hospitality and catering, product development and promotion. This qualification provides the knowledge, understanding and skills to progress to further study or training or be used to provide experience for employment.
Where can this course lead?
The range of degrees and jobs in the food industry is massive. You have the nutrition side leading to dietetics and Sports Nutrition. The scientific side leading to roles in Food Science and Technology which is a massive worldwide industry. Then the creative side with product development, food marketing and catering.
What do students think?
- “I am so pleased I took Food in Sixth Form as it has the balance between academic and creative lessons.”
- Now I am looking at going to University I am amazed at how many courses are available linked to this subject – and I will be able to feed myself when I leave home too!”
Who could be teaching me?
Mrs Baker and Mrs Harber both have over 25 years’ experience in all areas of Food Education.
- Mrs Baker has taught for many exam boards including AQA, BTEC, and WJEC.
- Mrs Harber has been a coursework moderator for WJEC.
- Antonia is doing a BSc in Food Marketing & Business Economics at University of Reading.
- Curtis gained a 1st class BSC Hons degree in Nutrition and Food Sciences from the University of Reading.
- Lucy is currently studying a BSc Hons degree in Nutrition and Food Marketing at Newcastle University
- Ella is studying Food and Nutrition at Edge Hill University